Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

JJ Tournement play (Good or Bad)

Default JJ Tournement play (Good or Bad)

Hi,

I am new to Forums so please have patients until I get used to posting.

I recently played a local Friday daily tournament and found myself in a tricky spot with JsJd

After playing 3 levels (60mins approx.) I felt I had a good read on other players so the hand starts with me on the B on a nine handed table.

SB...400
    BB...800
    Ante...100

UTG raised 4times the BB, 3200,
    4th to act flat calls,
    ME on the Button look down and see JsJd,
    My 1st reaction is to raise, I think three times the original raise (9600), but now see it is a huge portion of my stack (27000) so I take a second to go through what I have picked up from my players within a reasonable time.

UTG raises 4times regular from early position with A,10 or better, He has folded pre flop 2/2 times to my re-raise pre, I believe he is only calling me with AKs or better.
    4th is a calling station and has called big all-ins with 5,5 and a small all-is with 6,7o, the calling station of the table and chip leader to my frustration,
    I have won most of my hands without having to show and won 4/4 of my showdowns, and believe I have a tight image.

So my decision has now turned to all-in or fold and put flat calling aside because I didn't want to see a scary board.

I push all-in.
    UTG says "I think you have K,K" to me and shows Qh,Qc.
    4th shows Ah,Kh

I have been in mixed feelings of how I played, is it good that I had my reads right and made a move, or is that counter acted because I pushed 27000 when the blinds where only 400-800. Maybe this is a typical learners mistake??

Please help.
    Hi! Welcome to FTR! Excellent first post!

Your head is in the right place, here. You're thinking about your opponents' ranges and how your bet size PRE will put you in different situations post-flop. Excellent!

I'll leave it to the tournament players to respond to you in more detail.

Have you checked out FTR's tournament poker forum?
    I moved the thread to tourney poker.

You only had 35ish BBs.

I think your options are to raise a bit smaller (like to 6500) and then fold to a shove or do exactly what you did.

The fact that you got QQ to fold is amazing and a hi-5 results oriented play to yourself.
    http://chardrian.blogspot.com
    come check out my training videos at pokerpwnage.com
    I think you made a good play, JJ can be tricky after the flop, huge laydown by the QQ but that worked in your favor . Good job on observing the players at your table and picking up on ranges.
    Thanks for feedback guys,

I really needed others opinions because it wasn't nice to be knocked out of the tournament in that hand. Obviously you play each situation as it comes, I have read treads on hear before actually becoming a member and its because of FTR that I was able to collect the information I used in this hand.

I look forward to being able to chat with others on my hands and play.

Thanks MadMojoMonkey for the link, I will be like a sponge soaking up how this forum works, posting in the right paces, inserts and all that stuff