Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

Putting people on ranges

Default Putting people on ranges

I have never been very good at putting people on ranges during a hand.
    This is something that I really need to work on.

What are some of the things you guys have done to get better at this?
    Do you just mess around with poker stove a lot?
    I think it just comes as you get better at reading hands. Also, when the info isn't useful to you your probably not compelled to think about it.
    Check out the new blog!!!
    This is tough, but I really think it's just a 'practice makes perfect' kind of spot. Certainly being a station over and over in certain spots (ie: going to showdown and seeing their cards), helps get a grasp on ranges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    ^^ funny but so true.
    This has always been my biggest problem and I still struggle with being lazy when playing and not doing the work when studying. I found Balugawhales book and a couple of his vids made a big difference for me by always thinking along the lines of only value and bluffs. Always trying to tell yourself what hands your value betting against and what hands your bluffing gets you verbalizing opponents ranges. When you start trying to think about hte hands you want to call or fold before you bet makes bet sizing easier and keeps you from being surprised when villain suddenly shoves on you when your thinking about a range your trying to valuetown.
    This is something i struggle at as well and am trying to get better at it. For me i find it easier to put people on ranges when im playing less tables and am more focused. Putting regs on a range is easier because there are certain unprofitable situations that you know they know, so their range becomes narrower. However, this is not a simple solution, and i pay attention to players when im out of a hand, and keep notes on what they showdown and how they get there. This gives me an idea of how they play, and i can use that information when i am in a hand with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSkinsFan View Post
    I think it just comes as you get better at reading hands. Also, when the info isn't useful to you your probably not compelled to think about it.
    Isnt this looking at it top down? I feel like we get better at hand reading because we are better at putting people on ranges. For most it may be on an intuitive level and not a "he has AhXx, 22...", but I have think that ranges come before hand reading
    isn't it more important to think of our own ranges and how our opponents perceive them?
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by andy-akb View Post
    Isnt this looking at it top down? I feel like we get better at hand reading because we are better at putting people on ranges. For most it may be on an intuitive level and not a "he has AhXx, 22...", but I have think that ranges come before hand reading
    I think you should always guess what people have every hand you can. See if your right or wrong, and note any factors that made "x" player more likely to have "x" hand. When you do that you get better at reading hands/putting people on ranges. To me, its the same thing.

I'm betting what makes it hard for OP to put someone on a range is the knowledge isnt that relevant to him. If I see that someone has a certain kind of range it heavily determines what I do in the hand. But for a lot of people, all that matters is if they are bluffing or not. Or if they are strong or weak.
    Check out the new blog!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSkinsFan View Post
    I'm betting what makes it hard for OP to put someone on a range is the knowledge isnt that relevant to him. If I see that someone has a certain kind of range it heavily determines what I do in the hand. But for a lot of people, all that matters is if they are bluffing or not. Or if they are strong or weak.
    I don't understand why that when someone has a certain kind of range it heavily determines what you do in a hand but not for a lot of other people.
    What do you mean by this?
    I just look to see if the villains name is JLxxxx and I know he will fold 90% of his range to a raise from me.

I think what ISF's saying though is at our meager stakes that most people we're playing against aren't very balanced. So you know if villain A reraises you big on the flop he's bluffing, if he reraises 2.5 he has a nut hand. It doesn't matter what his range is because you know you can call him down on the big reraise because it's always a bluff.

Or maybe I totally misunderstood...

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    it helps listening to someone else do it, and then thinking value is TPTK+, semi bluffs etc, then away from tables crunching numbers
    Assuming you're a TAGG and not some crazy aggro maniac and not some nitfest, just think of what hands you'd have in certain spots. What range of hands you'd cbet on certain boards, or check back on others.

That's a good starting point anyway, and then deviate off this range by your reads on the player and his tendencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks