Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

[spoonitnow strategy] How to Decide Which Hands to 3-Bet for Value Pre-Flop

Event [spoonitnow strategy] How to Decide Which Hands to 3-Bet for Value Pre-Flop

One simple step to form an extremely strong 3-betting value range.

Four simple steps to forming extremely strong pre-flop ranges for everything you do.

Get to stepping: http://www.flopturnriver.com/poker-s...pre-flop-20735
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    I think taking this pure equity-based approach is a bit limited.

Really the only hands that can leverage a significant equity-based advantage with preflop 3-betting with relatively deep (100bb) stacks are JJ+. After that point, equities run fairly close so it really becomes more about "floppability" from there, and hand like KQs or even as weak as J3s can be an effective 3-bet both with elements of value and bluff.

Vs a button open I 3-bet 99+ and AQ+ for "value" in the sense that I am fairly happy to play all in pre with them. But I also 3-bet strong suited hands like ATs QJs 98s because they have great value postflop in 3-bet pots, and enough equity all in pre that I can flat 4bets or 5 bet jam or fold them at my discretion. These hands would obviously be profitable to call, but far more profitable to reraise, and in a sense they widen my "value" range so i can 3-bet even more junky hands that have a greater "bluff" element.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton View Post
    I think taking this pure equity-based approach is a bit limited.

Really the only hands that can leverage a significant equity-based advantage with preflop 3-betting with relatively deep (100bb) stacks are JJ+. After that point, equities run fairly close so it really becomes more about "floppability" from there, and hand like KQs or even as weak as J3s can be an effective 3-bet both with elements of value and bluff.

Vs a button open I 3-bet 99+ and AQ+ for "value" in the sense that I am fairly happy to play all in pre with them. But I also 3-bet strong suited hands like ATs QJs 98s because they have great value postflop in 3-bet pots, and enough equity all in pre that I can flat 4bets or 5 bet jam or fold them at my discretion. These hands would obviously be profitable to call, but far more profitable to reraise, and in a sense they widen my "value" range so i can 3-bet even more junky hands that have a greater "bluff" element.
    You're not wrong, but remember: "Along these lines, we’re really going after some low-hanging fruit for the players who aren’t sure about opening up their pre-flop 3-betting."