Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Good Stout Beers

Default Good Stout Beers

Which ones do you like best?

I didn't want to hijack the IPA thread with a bunch of stout beers so I made this separate thread.

Having just tried Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout and Green Flash Double Stout, I like Old Rasputin better. It seemed to have hints of root beer and coffee like tastes which were nice.
    Last edited by Eric; 08-23-2014 at 07:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Which ones do you like best?

I didn't want to hijack the IPA thread with a bunch of porter beers so I made this separate thread.

Having just tried Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout and Green Flash Double Stout, I like Old Rasputin better. It seemed to have hints of root beer and coffee like tastes which were nice.
    Your suggestions belong in the "Good Stout Beers" Thread. Porters are porters and stouts are stouts, although there isn't an official definition that's completely adhere to, I generally think of stouts as having roasted barley as a key ingredient and tend to be darker, richer, etc. That said, it's really up to the brewer. I've had plenty of stouts that taste like porters and several porters that taste like stouts.

I'm not a huge fan of porter unless it tastes more like a robust stout, so I tend to say "I don't really like porter" and instead that "I like stouts and that some people don't know what to call the beer they make".
    So you click their picture and then you get their money?
    Bud Light
    Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    Your suggestions belong in the "Good Stout Beers" Thread. Porters are porters and stouts are stouts, although there isn't an official definition that's completely adhere to, I generally think of stouts as having roasted barley as a key ingredient and tend to be darker, richer, etc. That said, it's really up to the brewer. I've had plenty of stouts that taste like porters and several porters that taste like stouts.
    You're right, I changed the thread title and the wording in the first post.
    AleSmith Speedway Stout
    Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel
    Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Those are all imperials though, Mikkeller being an imperial oatmeal stout. Would love to try the Three Floyds Dark Lords.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

?wut
    Can't beat Guinness.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    Bud Light
    This is stout?
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    Bud Light
    You're spoon? Why are you pretending to be imsavy?
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by bikes View Post
    Belgian Tripel is not stout.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/1160/

This is stout.
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Can't beat Guinness.
    guinness is the coors light of stouts.

I'm drinking this right now because some old guy with a sweet grey beard was buying some and recommended it.

greybeard didn't disappoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post

I'm drinking this right now because some old guy with a sweet grey beard was buying some and recommended it.

I was going to accuse you of talking shit, but that pint does look very appealing.

Guinness is incredible, but it has one huge problem... it doesn't travel well, so the further you are from Dublin, the worse the quality.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post

I find Samuel Smith's to be a bit sweet for my liking, but is not terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    I find Samuel Smith's to be a bit sweet for my liking, but is not terrible.
    I imagine it wouldn't be an ideal beer to pound 2 at a time from a 40oz mug, but I've seen you in action so I wouldn't put it past you...
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Guinness is incredible, but it has one huge problem... it doesn't travel well, so the further you are from Dublin, the worse the quality.
    I guess you're sort of right but more specifically, it's just fresher in Ireland. It makes a huge difference whether it's freshly brewed or has sat in kegs for weeks, as is the case pretty much always when you get it abroad. Also in Dublin I guess they go through a fair bit of it, so it's fairly likely you're getting it from a fresh keg.

When I first started getting into non-lagers 20-something years ago, Guinness was considered like super strong-tasting and heavy, I guess if your reference point is a light blond lager.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

Left hand milk stout
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    I guess you're sort of right but more specifically, it's just fresher in Ireland. It makes a huge difference whether it's freshly brewed or has sat in kegs for weeks, as is the case pretty much always when you get it abroad. Also in Dublin I guess they go through a fair bit of it, so it's fairly likely you're getting it from a fresh keg.

When I first started getting into non-lagers 20-something years ago, Guinness was considered like super strong-tasting and heavy, I guess if your reference point is a light blond lager.
    You've pretty much nailed why Guinness doesn't travel well. I think the fact it travels by boat plays a part too, the constant agitation while being transported is likely to effect the quality to a degree. But yeah freshness is probably the dominant factor. Guinness is definitely better in pubs where it's constantly flowing, that's because it's not sitting in the pipes for longer than a few minutes.

I'm not a fan of other Irish stouts, like Murpheys. There's just something about a fresh pint of Guinness.
    ongies gonna ong
    I like Guinness, but it really does feel like a light beer compared to virtually every other stout. Which is probably why it sells so well.
    its down to the water ong ....its brewed under licence in different parts of the world and the different water affects the taste.It also has to be fresh as well , i.e get it in a pub that doesn't sell a lot and it tastes shit , pub where they sell a lot and it tastes great. 10 pints is a meal in itself as well and for the poop admirers , turns your shit a lovely shade of black.