Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

I lose lotsa money playing HU

Default I lose lotsa money playing HU

Definitely not the first 3-bet from this villain, though his flop strength led me to believe he had something here...at least a pair. I've been my usual aggro self, raising almost every button, c-betting lots etc...

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (2 handed) Ultimate-Bet Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)

BB ($78)
    Hero ($167.30)

Preflop: Hero is Button with , .
    Hero raises to $4, BB raises to $12, Hero calls $8.

Flop: ($24) , , (2 players)
    BB checks, Hero bets $16, BB pushes Hero...?
    Call of course, what range could he possibly have here that you don't have odds to call?

Fold preflop and I hate raising 4x as your standard if you're raising most buttons and getting 3-bet a lot.
    ^^^^ Couldn't agree more
    Check out the new blog!!!
    Just because you are playing HU doesn't mean you have to play crappy aces in 3 bet pots.
    <Staxalax> I want everyone to put my quote in their sigs
    Yeah I'm a FR donk who's trying to adapt to looser HU games.

Why only 3x? Enough to get the job done in deepstack HU?

So what is an 'acceptable' 3-bet calling range in this spot vs a villain who's 3-betting maybe 1/5th of your PFRs? AJ+?
    Keeps the pot small so your bluffs are cheaper and encourages BB to play out of position. I think the main reason for raising 4x + in fr and 6 max is for isolation and that's kind of automatic in HU.
    I'm not saying you have to have a tight range of calling a three bet either. I just chose hands that aren't as dominated as A x offsuit. If he is three betting a ton you could call with suited connectors, pairs, strong aces, and KQ.

Also if he is 3 betting you too much start mixing in small 4 bet bluffs and/or tighten up a little on the button.
    Thanks pankfish, mucho food for thought.

These HU games are fun
    calling this 3bet w A8o is total spew.

on flop i don't understand how you could ever think of anything but calling your getting like 2:1.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcatdog
    Call of course, what range could he possibly have here that you don't have odds to call?

Fold preflop and I hate raising 4x as your standard if you're raising most buttons and getting 3-bet a lot.
    I agree.

Also, I hate pf calls with this kind of hand. Raise or fold imo
    LOL OPERATIONS
    *waits for another person to tell me that my preflop call was bad*

Ok, ok, I'm a HU donk, I get it.

What factors to people use to determine whether or not to 4-bet / call / fold?

If someone's 3-betting a little light, is it better just to 4-bet more when you're OOP, and call more IP? Would you ever call 3-bets with hands like AJ (and why?), or is it also too easily dominated?
    This is something I'm looking for advice on as well.

I think for folding/raising it's simply a matter of determining his pf raise ranges and whether you're behind or ahead.

For calling, I'm starting to realize I may be calling with too many hands that I should insert into the above paragraph, fold or raise. I think hands that you should call with are drawing hands like suited connectors and possibly small pairs.

I want to hear advice from people who aren't dumb at poker like me.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    dozer, villain has to be 3betting like 15%+ to make this profitable with 100 bb stakcs

u hit gin now get it in
    I got more flava than fruitstripe gum
    Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    dozer, villain has to be 3betting like 15%+ to make this profitable with 100 bb stakcs

u hit gin now get it in
    Sauce care to elaborate why V needs to be 3betting around 15% of the time to make this +ev?
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlemon69
    Quote Originally Posted by sauce123

u hit gin now get it in
    Sauce care to elaborate why V needs to be 3betting around 15% of the time to make this +ev?
    I'll take a stab:

If v is 3-betting that loose, then A8 actually plays well against that wide of a range. But since most villain's 3-betting range isn't that wide, A8 doesn't play profitably against the typically tighter range given how badly it's often dominated.

I learned a lot from this thread, and from playing a bunch more.

Despite people having wider ranges, they're not usually AS wide as I originally assumed...