Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

does reverse float = donk?

Default does reverse float = donk?

I've seen the term "reverse float" used a few places online (not in this forum, and it's not in the FTR glossary), but I can't quite tell if it's the same thing as a plain ol' donk.

Is there a difference between the two terms? Does a reverse float imply deception, whereas a donk is oop bet either for value as well as a bluff? Not sure. Thanks.
    My understanding would be that a donk bet is when villain bets out after just calling a pre-flop raise OOP. Usually, play would be checked to the pre-flop aggressor.

Reverse float, in my opinion, sounds like it could be when you're the pre-flop aggressor and you c/c the flop having not connected with it. For example, you 3bet from the BB against BU w/ AKs, flop comes 963r and you c/c. I think this would classify as a reverse-float.
    Currently grinding live cash games. Life is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_1878 View Post
    My understanding would be that a donk bet is when villain bets out after just calling a pre-flop raise OOP. Usually, play would be checked to the pre-flop aggressor.
    Yeah, but you can donk the turn or the river too, so technically I think donks could also pertain to do what you did postflop on the previous street (including flop and turn) regardless of preflop aggression ... I think.

Reverse float, in my opinion, sounds like it could be when you're the pre-flop aggressor and you c/c the flop having not connected with it. For example, you 3bet from the BB against BU w/ AKs, flop comes 963r and you c/c. I think this would classify as a reverse-float.
    So perhaps it's a matter having intention of bluffing, and the way you execute that is by donking? Correct me if I'm wrong, gang.
    Correct, you can donk on any street. I was just providing an example.

Not really, you can float the flop in my example believing you have the best hand some of the time.

From my experience, donking usually comes when villain has some kind of draw or weak made hand - it's rarely a strong hand.
    Currently grinding live cash games. Life is good.
    Reverse floating is just floating out of position with the intention of leading the next street. Example: You check/call the flop and then lead the turn with a bluff or semi-bluff.

(Also, a donk bet is leading a street when you weren't the aggressor on the previous street.)
    Thanks, spoon. I think I get it. Cheers!