Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Dumb Questions Thread

Default Dumb Questions Thread

If you have a question you think is too dumb (or too short) for its own thread, go ahead and post it here.
    For example here are the next question from me:
    -Big Bet-what is it and how is it used?
    Last edited by Keith; 10-27-2015 at 11:15 AM. Reason: moved to more appropriate forum
    What was the context?

In NLHE, I wouldn't consider any bet to be "big" unless it was more than the size of the current pot. There are a few reasons to use a bet this large. At the micro-stakes, you might do this against a player who you believe will not fold to ANY bet size, and you believe you have them beat.

In a tournament, you might find yourself making "big" bets, since any reasonably sized (smaller) bet basically leaves you with too few chips to have a reasonable chance at winning the tournament if you lose. This is one situation where you hear people say, "Go big or go home."

In limit poker games, there is often a point in the hand where the betting amount is doubled. These larger bets are called "Big Bets". E.g. if you were playing 7-card stud, then you might expect the bet size to be $1 for the early streets, but $2 for the last couple of streets.
    Yeah, bit bet can mean different things depending on the context.
    I'd generally associate the term with being twice the value of the big blind, which as MMM says, is used in limit poker games to define the biggest bet. Win rates used to be expressed as big bets per 100 hands, but expressing win rates as big blinds per 100 hands now seems standard. Big bets is expressed as capitals BB in forums, whereas big blinds are expressed in lower case bb. 5BB = 10bb.

I've heard the term "big bet games" a lot recently though when reading about high stakes action at PLO. I guess that's because PLO is technically a limit game?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    I'd generally associate the term with being twice the value of the big blind, which as MMM says, is used in limit poker games to define the biggest bet. Win rates used to be expressed as big bets per 100 hands, but expressing win rates as big blinds per 100 hands now seems standard. Big bets is expressed as capitals BB in forums, whereas big blinds are expressed in lower case bb. 5BB = 10bb.

I've heard the term "big bet games" a lot recently though when reading about high stakes action at PLO. I guess that's because PLO is technically a limit game?
    Thanks for all your answers. Now it`s clear for me what does "Big Bet" means)) Like this forum for the professional help)))
    Any other questions?) Maube I can answer too..)