New member- Issue on AQ hitting TPTK against 3 opponents.
Let me give a background about myself. I am a semi-pro playing @ 3-6 NLH 6 max at partypoker or 25-50 NLH full ring at my local casino somewhere here in Asia. I play about 10 to 15 hrs a week live and prolly 6 hours max a week online.
I'am currently at a 9 buy in downswing in my local casino and last night was one of the most brutal. AA got cracked by KK, got it all in w/ mid set against TPTK and got runnered and got it all in with top set against OESFD and well, you guessed it; flush hit the river. Well I am not here to talk about my DS but I wanted to hear your opinions on a certain hand last night that could have gotten me off my nice downswing. ( I was pretty much in control last night and in the zone until this one hit me) Here is the hand history:
Game: NLH 25-50
ME: CO w/ Ad Qd with 13k stack (2nd at the table)
3 limpers ahead of me so i raised 3xBB + 1 for every limper so i jacked it up to 300. Blinds call, limpers fold.
I will show the hands of the callers in the end, but here are the stacks of the SB and BB and the effective stacks and playing style as well.
SB: 5k stack (kinda loose-passive ATM)
BB: 14k stack (std tight aggressive- Biggest stack) Got me covered.
Effective stacks got me covered.
I am a LAG who just goes crazy in position with any two cards but well whatever, I do have a premium hand in AQ (my favorite hand.. LOL)
Preflop Pot: 1050
SB checks, BB donk-bets 350 I call, SB calls.
Pot after the flop is 2100
SB donk-bets 1500 BB calls, i call.
Pot after the turn is 6600
River is 2s (completing back door flush)
SB checks, BB value bets 1750, i call then SB shoves for the rest of his 2800. BB calls. I call since i only need to put in another 1050 to win a 15k pot which is really standard I guess.
Final board of Qc-9s-7h-6s-2s.
SB holds 10s-5s for a rivered back door flush
BB holds Qh-8h for top pair 8-kicker.
I lost exactly 5000 (100 BB).
So here are the issues of this hand.
1) BB had been on a sick heater and had been hitting the deck. I did not want to get into a war for stacks with her with just TPTK so i decided to play my hand passively.
The third guy was really a loose-lucky donk who plays Sh*t like 4-2o or 7-3o out of position and hits his straights or one-card flushes. He also bought in for the 1K minimum and got his stack to that level.
I told myself that I' am willing to lose to him if he gets lucky but not stacking-off to the 240 BB stack of the SB.
QUESTION: Should i have raised the flop with my TPTK to take the pot right there or is my pot control the right play?
the BB told me afterwards that if i 3bet her she would've 4bet me and I would not know what to do if I get 4bet. SB would have folded if i raised the flop though.
2) Am I playing TPTK the right way? I used to play at the 10-20 lower limits with a buy in of 75BB and I usually play TPTK profitably by raising and re-raising with it. But now that I am playing at a deepstacked ring game, I tend to keep the pot small with TPTK and have been losing or getting outdrawn on the river. There was a time when I tried playing TPTK aggressively in the deepstacked game but ended up stacking off to my opponent's bottom set.
3) I thought of raising the turn but the BB said that he would not have folded because he had a GUTSHOT and a spade draw and would have moved all in on me. SB also said that she would have not folded because she does have a gutshot to the 10 on the turn and would have shoved on me as well.
4) Should I have folded the river?
5) Could you give me suggestions on how I should've played the hand on the FLOP- TURN and RIVER? I do not have any poker tracking software, i wanted to see if I was ahead in G-bucks if we got in a hypothetical shoving war on the flop or turn. (I love the Gbucks concept but it's not funny to lose a buy in or so and justifying it that I have positive GBucks on that hand, Phil Galfond is my favorite player obviously). I would appreciate it and hopefully, my story here added to a bit of poker knowledge for everyone.
Btw, I was on serious tilt the next hand few hands, i lost a big pot due to a hero call with middle pair and stacked off with TPTK (AJ this time) against bottom two pair (LOL). I bought in for another 10k, got it up to 20k and went down with the three hands i stated at the beginning of this post. Should have stood up when I reached 20k again I think.
PS Moderator: My live game is considered high-stakes right? Sorry for posting here, feel free to move it!
GL at the tables my friends.